Serving Michiana Families Since 2002
In 2002, under the guidance of our founder Kathleen Sparks, the Ronald McDonald House Family Room was opened inside of Memorial Hospital. The Family Room contained a living room, kitchen, a small library, washer and dryer, 3 overnight bedrooms and 2 restrooms with shower facilities – all within a 1500 sq. ft. space.
Between 2002 and 2017, the Family Room helped thousands of families remain close to their child. It became evident early-on that additional space would greatly benefit families as there was commonly a waiting list of more than 6 families a day all hoping to get into an overnight room in order to remain close to their children.
In February of 2017, RMHC of Michiana opened their brand new House inside the Skyway building connected to Memorial Hospital. With more than 15,000 sq. ft. of space, the new House offers 20 overnight bedroom suites, multiple laundry facilities, living rooms, dining rooms, a large open kitchen, pantry, community room and children’s play room.
In the new House, entire families can find rest and refreshment together while still remaining just steps away from their child’s hospital bed.
Thanks to the vision and leadership of the Board of Directors, the staff and volunteers, and our partnership with Beacon Children’s Hospital, this beautiful new home will give thousands of families precious extra time with their children to help them heal and rest in the comfort of knowing family will be by their side.
A Place to Call Home
The new 15,000 sq. ft Ronald McDonald House is a beautiful space that is meeting the needs of more families than ever before. Whether a family needs the support of Day Services or Overnight accommodations, RMHC of Michiana offers the following amenities for all of our guests:
- 20 Overnight Guest Suites
- 2 Fully Stocked laundry facilities
- Fully Stocked restrooms and showers for day guests
- A hot meal prepared and served each evening at 6 p.m.
- Multiple living rooms with comfortable couches, TVs and DVD players
- Children’s playroom for siblings and outpatients
- The Coffee Cart, which visits Beacon Children’s Hospital daily to offer refreshments and comfort to patients and families
- The Hospitality Kiosk at Elkhart General Hospital is available for families of Pediatric patients