The Director of Development creates the strategic development plan and executes the tactical fundraising results for Ronald McDonald House Charities® of Michiana (“RMHC of Michiana”). This individual sets goals, achieves fundraising goals, monitors progress, and adapts action plans to ensure that program objectives, operating requirements and fundraising goals are met and advancing the RMHC mission in a manner consistent with the strategic vision and core values of the charity. This individual is responsible for achieving all annual and operating revenue streams which allow RMHC of Michiana to achieve the organization’s mission and maximize impact in the communities served.
We are looking for a relationship-focused, experienced and proven leader in developing and implementing fundraising strategies to assist with growing and sustaining the organization. Our great team welcomes a team player interested in being part of a growing organization in the community.
Reports to: President & CEO (“CEO”)
Status: Full Time
- Track record of directly cultivating and closing specific annual fundraising goal ($1 million per year minimum, plus $500,000 of in-kind contributions), achieving successful planning and execution of development strategies and the required communications to multiple stakeholders.
- Interaction with at least 50 community leaders per year via tours or corporate visits.
- Proven experience in developing and vetting donor database and setting realistic fundraising expectations for each donor based on relationships, donor aspirations, and prior giving performance.
- Develop a pipeline of donors and educate and engage donors in all cycles of move management and the various ways of giving to the organization. Oversee and confirm that gift acquisition, reacquisition, renewals, and planned giving are being achieved.
- Identify and execute annual fundraising goals and relationships with donors, CEO, and other team members for collaborative annual/endowment commitments.
- Plan and execute relevant fundraising events to engage, inform and commit donors to the RMHC community.
- Develop successful strategic partnerships with other nonprofits, corporations, and individuals for cooperative fundraising efforts.
- Coordinate administrative and marketing functions required for successful fundraising with CEO and RMHC staff members as roles are designated.
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree and four years of related experience.
- Minimum three years of proven fundraising development or related field such as communications, public relations, marketing, sales, or related field. Nonprofit experience is preferred.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
- Computer proficiency, including familiarity with all MS Office products and database management.
Compassion, Communication; Interpersonal/team effectiveness; Dependable; Problem-solving and decision-making; Able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously; Able to form and grow strong relationships with volunteers, families and community members and organizations.
- Fund Development Strategies –Generate new ideas to increase revenue and donor loyalty. Oversee the development budget and monitor expenses. Track and report progress using specific metrics. Track pipeline of moves management plan. Initiate, evaluate and secure new sources of funding and in-kind donations. Continually work to increase the organizations’ development strategies by working with other professionals to ensure RMHC has sound practices, that are following appropriate laws and regulations and that are appropriately aligned with the organizations mission and strategy.
- Donor Relations – Identify and build relationships with new and prospective donors. Maintain long-term relationships with existing donors. Help donors accomplish their philanthropic goals and ambitions through a relationship with RMHC of Michiana. Make direct face-to-face solicitations. Manage existing portfolio of donors and prospects.
- Major Gifts and Planned Giving– Develop plans and build relationships with major individual, corporate and foundation donors: prepare proposals and make and close donor asks. Renew committed donors and recruit new donors to meet and exceed revenue goals. Maintain appropriate promotional materials for these programs.
- Strategic Planning – Create and implement a strategic three-year fund development plan to include long-term financial sustainability and short/medium term planning for current programs and continuous improvement of our facilities, programs, and services.
- Annual Development Plan – Create and implement RMHC’s annual development plan with input from the CEO and Board of Directors, aligning it with the three-year strategic plan. Identify, cultivate, and solicit philanthropic support by developing and maintaining relationships with individuals, corporations and foundations to grow the fund development of the House. Manage bottom-line objectives to meet or exceed annual projections and design and implement strategies to increase donor giving. Assure timely and appropriate donor acknowledgement and recognition.
- Reporting – Review and manage the items detailed in the organizations’ development plan on an ongoing basis. This will also include revisions when necessary and reporting on progress to the CEO.
- Grants – Identify and write grant requests for funding and seek possible grant opportunities for RMHC of Michiana programs.
- Signature Events – partner with CEO and other team members to increase the number of attendees, sponsors, and dollars to meet revenue projections.
- Stewardship – Responsible for stewardship of all charity donors. Maintain a process to assure donors receive professional, timely written responses of appreciation and gratitude. Recognize donors appropriately or as agreed. Ensure that gratitude is personalized and reflects RMHC of Michiana’s brand and values.
- Database Management – Develop a working knowledge of DonorView, the Charity’s donor database, and work with the Business Administrator to assure its optimal use. Track and cultivate donors and prospects using DonorView software.
- Compliance – Assure that all fund-raising related activities and records are consistent with board policy and comply with applicable state and federal laws.
- Communications – Implement marketing programs as set forth by marketing planning teams for fundraising meetings, events, and presentations. Tell stories to convey the mission of the organization. Work with the Director of Marketing to plan and implement donor communication activities as it pertains to special event donations and attendance. Serve as a member of RMHC of Michiana’s Marketing and Events Committee as needed.
- Participate in the annual budget process. Monitor annual budget for issues and growth opportunities throughout the year and address problem areas as they arise.
- Attend regularly scheduled Development meetings with the CEO and Development Committee to strategize, establish short and long-term goals, discuss priorities, and present progress.
- Pursue opportunities for professional development as needed including organizations that will benefit RMHC of Michiana.
- Maintain positive relationship with guests, staff, vendors, Beacon Health System, Ronald McDonald Houses, volunteers, McDonald’s and other persons associated with Ronald McDonald House, treating everyone with respect and sensitivity.
- Attend and participate in staff meetings and operations team meetings. Cooperate with other staff concerning House staff coverage during vacations and holidays.
- Execute other responsibilities as requested by the CEO.